Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Possibly the worst epic song ever

The keyboard melody is familiar. The power cuts by Eddie Van Halen are classic. Hagar’s voice is vintage Sammy. And I just had to stop for a second.


here's the song to refresh your memory
“Love walks in” by Van Halen has been recently re-introduced to me via a local radio station. I’ve seriously heard it 3 times out of a total of 45 listening minutes (over a week or so). Check out the lyrics, don’t they make you say, “wait, what?”


and then you sense a change

nothin' feels the same

all your dreams are strange

love comes walkin' in

some kind of alien

waits for the opening

simply pulls a string

love comes walkin' in

oh, sleep and dream

that's all I crave

I travel far across the milky way

to my master

I've become a slave

'til we meet again

some other day

where silence speaks

as loud as war

earth returns to what it was before

love comes walkin' in

baby, pull a string


I definitely had to find out what was going on in this classic (or used to be) song. Turns out Sammy Hagar believes he was raped by aliens 3 to 4 times.


"I'm a firm believer -- have seen, have felt, have been contacted three or four different times. I have received information that has been valuable in my life from those people, and they have used me. I'm gonna sound like a complete nut here, but they have used me in an experimental fashion" -Sammy Hagar


So there you go. Sammy tried to make the song more popular by adding “Baby pull a string” as if he was singing about a woman, but really the lyrics look like this:




and then you sense a change – you wake up out of place


nothin' feels the same – strapped to a table


all your dreams are strange – feeling drugged


love comes walkin' in – (the hook, or chorus. Out of place here)


some kind of alien – Definitely an Alien


waits for the opening – turns you over


simply pulls a string - draws the window shades to a close


love comes walkin' in – penetration/rapes the shit out of you






Next time you’re rocking out hard to this song… Don’t rock out so hard, k?

No comments:

Post a Comment